Child suffering from fever, throat infection, red rash on the back, foul breath. Strep test, urine test negative. Cause of concern?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My toddler ran fever Sunday night until Tuesady night. We went to his pediatrician and his ears looked fine, throat looked slightly red, strep negative, and urine analysis was negative. He woke up Wednesday (today) without fever but has developed a red raised rash down his back and I have noticed that his breath has been smelling for a few days even after brushing his teeth. Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Considering the details, your toddler seems to be suffering from a viral infection which commonly present as fever followed by rash. However, sometimes the rash follows after the fever subsides.

As of now there is no specific treatment advised for such a condition as the symptoms usually subside on their own in a week to 10 days time.

But you do have to keep a watch on the following issues:
1. The most important issue here is to keep the child well hydrated and well fed, the usual diet.
2. Maintain adequate hygiene (as usual bath and brushing)
3. Do not apply any creams or oil on the rash, if there is itching consult your doctor for prescribing emollient and soothing zinc based lotion like calamine.
4. If he develops any new symptom like flushing of palms and soles without presence of fever, vomiting, breathlessness, diarrhoea, spread of rash to whole body or swelling or bleeding from any site, please consult his doctor promptly.

As of now, there is nothing worrisome and you can wait for a week for resolution of his illness.

I hope I have answered your query.