Child suffering from fever and sore throat. What could be causing this and the cure?

My daughter is 7yrs old and she is running a fever of about 101 and her throat is sore but the most puzzling is she keeps burping. Constantly like every few seconds and she isn't doing it on purpose. She said it started about midday? What could be causing it? Should I carry her to the emergency room? Now she said her stomach is hurting. She has
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 53 minutes later
This sounds like a viral illness, since she has fever and sore throat, which is the most common cause of this symptoms. The fact that she has constant burping could mean that whichever infection is also affecting her bowels (some infections can cause delayed gastric and/or bowel motility), therefore she can accumulate air / gas in the gastrointestinal tract, and therefore constantly burp. Keep in mind, that burping is a non-specific symptom, and there is no specific virus, bacteria or other sort of infection that relates to it. Any infection could do it.
If symptoms persist, I would definitely have her see a physician for further evaluation, as she may need antibiotics.
Hope that helped,
Follow-up: Child suffering from fever and sore throat. What could be causing this and the cure? 6 minutes later
Thank you! Just knowing what it could poossiblly be makes me feel better.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 5 minutes later
You are welcome. And again, as the infections clears, those symptoms should go away.