Child suffering from ear pain, runny nose and congestion. What medicine should be given?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My five year old is crying with ear pain. She can't get comfortable and it seems as though her pain gets worse when she flips from side to try and find relief. She told me at the outset of her pain that it was on the outside of her ears. She has runny nose, no fever and a little congestion so I gave her some allergy medicine. She is now saying pain is coming from inside and it seems to be increasing in severity
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Ear pain in children could be due to various problems either external to ear like upper respiratory infections- eustachean tube blockage , nasal congestion ,sinusitis , boils in ear canal etc or XXXXXXX to ear like otitis media or mastoiditis .
Since your child has accompanying runny nose , Congestion and no fever it's more likely due to eustachean tube blockage due to nasal congestion but it could also be the beginning of an ear infection ( otitis).
The next best step is to get her ears examined by an ENT surgeon ( otolaryngologist) or her pediatrician to rule out any pus or infection in the ear so that appropriate treatment can be started .
Although ear infections make children uncomfortable and worry parents, most ear infections will clear up on their own.
Meanwhile you can try the following for relief.
1.Using a simple technique called the Valsalva's Maneuver is helpful when it comes to ear infections in children as it will help to open the eustachian tubes and provide somewhat relief from the pain. You can instruct your child to take a XXXXXXX breathe, close the mouth and blow out of the nose gently at the same time. It's important that the child does not blow too hard or the eardrum can be damaged.
2.Analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen in prescribed doses thrice daily may relieve the pain temporarily .
3. Over the counter analgesic and antibiotic combination ear drops might be used for temporary relief( auralgan, candid-O etc)
4. You can apply a warm product such as a warm water bottle or bag to the affected area which helps in blood circulation and temporary masking of pain.

However if the pain has persisted for more than 72 hours then it's best to get it treated with appropriate antibiotics by your doctor to prevent serious complications .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.