Child suffering from dry cough, neck ticks. Positive ANA, negative nose swabs. Chest X-ray, CT of sinus normal. Solution?

ENT Specialist
My 6 yr old has been coughing for 2 months. Positive XXXXXXX negative nose swab for pertussis, dry cough constant. Now developing an odd neck stretching tick says neck feels like something is there. Negative chest X-ray and CT scan of sinuses clear tonsils adnoids normal. Cough meds, antibiotic, breathing treatments, steam, vicks,nose spray, malox and benedryl mixture none mist humidifier tried it all......what's next?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later

Constant dry cough without cold, throat and fever could be due to allergic bronchitis.

Dry cough of a long duration without cold, fever and throat pain could due to an allergic condition such as allergic bronchitis/ asthma. If it was due to either a bacterial or viral infection, it would have subsided by now with the all the above medicines. A negative chest x-ray rules out any foreign body aspiration or pneumonia. A positive XXXXXXX does not have any relation to the dry cough.

In view of positive XXXXXXX I would suggest you to get few more blood investigations such as CRP (C-reactive Proteins), ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) and IgE (Immunoglobulin E) done to rule out other medical conditions and allergic bronchitis.

The odd neck stretching tick like thing could be due to the shortness of breath for which the child requires to stretch the neck in order to breathe-in the air.

I would suggest you to consult a good pulmonologist or a chest physician for a complete examination and further management. Also encourage your child to drink plenty of warm water and change the pillow cover every night before going to bed.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for further follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon