Child suffering from diarrhea and cramps. What precaution and cure should be taken?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 3yr old daughter is having diarrhea, 3 episodes last night. Cramping followed by immediate liquid stool. She'd had Organic, unfiltered XXXXXXX juice & also her brother has had loose stool, so I attributed it to that. Today she had a total of 4 loose stools; I thought she was getting better, morning was liquid , afternoon just soft then semi formed even but her last rd stool was mush. My main question I guess is what I can feed her to help her stomach, and what I should avoid. She ate a lot of yogurt last night & cottage cheese this evening. Eating a banana & milk now. Is dairy a bad idea? Is she contagious? She has a birthday party to go to @ 12:30 tomorrow. She's never run a fever. Cramps come on rather sudden, hurts her when she goes & then she seems to be fine. We're working hard in hand washing. Wondering if her brother's Diarrhea was the cause (he's 23 months old & has had loose stool for some time) both kids are drinking & eating ok. Wet diapers & peeing. Main questions are:How long is too long for Diarrhea? & what should I avoid feeding, and what type of diet should the kids have?
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 25 minutes later
Welcome to health care magic!
You have 2 kids with diarrhoea ,your son had fever also preceding this. Your daughter also may get fever- you have to watch out.
This suggests a possible viral episode in both of them.
Good that they both are eating well and passing urine well.
This shows that they are well hydrated.
In such cases, taking care of fluid and electrolytes losses is very important.
You should give them some oral electrolyte solutions like pedialyte 1-2 ozs after every loose stool.
Reg diet limit the use of dairy especially cheese,but yoghurt is OK.
You can give rice based cereals XXXXXXX juice or boiled.
Avoid butter,cheese,egg,cake etc.

Regarding the party there will be three problems!
Primarily she will be tempted to eat the cake,etc.
Secondly with her cramps and loose stools ,she may not be comfortable playing!
Thirdly , viral infections are contagious to some extent.

All the best
God bless
Dr Uma