Child suffering from cough, running nose and fever. Taking nebuliser with levolin and xyzal. Fever is reducing. Continue crocin DS?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
my kid is 2.6 years. he i suffering with cough, running nose (from last 1 month) and fever from last 2 days. Doctor after using nebuliser with levolin 0.63, suggested xyzal M tab once a day and Levolin syrup (3 times a day) with crocin DS (in case of fever). its now almost 2 days completed with continuous reducing fever from 101.4 to 99.4 f. should i continue crocin DS further...
i m worried about the continuous fever, running nose and cough. i hope the recommended medicines will not cause any side effects...
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give CrocinDS if temperature is more than 100 F.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

You can give Crocin DS if there is fever (if temperature is more than 100 degree F). And it can be given in prescribed dose every 6th hourly depending on the presence of fever.

If there is no fever, don't give Crocin DS.

Check his body temperature at regular intervals.

Xyzal M kid tablet to be given once daily in prescribed dose and it should be dissolved in water before giving orally.

The recommended medicines are safe and usually have no side effects in prescribed dose.

If the fever is persisting beyond 48 hours, consult the pediatrician for follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffering from cough, running nose and fever. Taking nebuliser with levolin and xyzal. Fever is reducing. Continue crocin DS? 26 hours later
pls let me know: How long a viral infection can persist. Today is the 4th day, the fever in fluctuating between 99 & 101.6 . My son also got tested for Dangue on the 3rd day of fever with cough and running nose.
(also reported running nose from last 1 month with minor cough) .
The result is negative with normal parameters.
Doctor also started some Good Antibiotic for 3 days course from tomorrow night after he got negative Dangue symptoms.
My Doctor basic Diagnosis about the problem is Bronchitis.
But my main worry is continuous fever from last 4 days...
Pls explain me little bit.

Brief Answer:
Viral infection may persists for 5 to 7 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Viral infections usually lasts for 5 to 7 days.

During this period, the fever will fluctuate.

Continue the antibiotic as per the doctor prescription. Fever will take time like 72 hours to respond to antibiotic in case of bacterial infections after starting antibiotic.

Monitor his hydration, temperature, and activity regularly.

If the fever persists in spite of antibiotic, basic investigations like complete blood picture, malarial parasite, widal test, complete urine examination, and chest X XXXXXXX can be done to look for the focus of infection.

Continue the medication as prescribed and be in regular follow up with your pediatrician till the child gets relief from fever.

Regards.