Child suffering from cough and having temperature. Prescribed with Augmentin and clonamox. Which drug is better?

Hi, my daughter has a chest cough and temperature 39 for the past 3 days no improvement, we went to a doctor twice yesterday and today. One doctor perscribed Augmentin Pediatric, the other one Clonamox. Which drug is better (I know they are both Penicilines, but is any of them newer, etc. My daughter is 3 years old. Small child 12kg. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Both Augmentin and Clonamox have Amoxicillin. Augmentin also has clavulanic acid which increases the spectrum of action of amoxicillin against more types of bacteria. Thus Augmentin is better as far as the spectrum is concerned. Otherwise both can be given. The difference is not based on new or old medication. Amoxicilllin alone is more commonly advised to kids visiting my clinic. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Child suffering from cough and having temperature. Prescribed with Augmentin and clonamox. Which drug is better? 7 hours later
Hi, is it safe to stop giving my 3 year old daughter antibiotic after just one intake? We were advised to give it to her if her state doesn't improve, but we se improvement now and it can't be related to the antibiotic we think,as it was only taken once (6 hours ago). If it doesn't make much difference after just one, then we would like to avoid her going through the whole week of taking it. She's been ill for about 5 days now, with fever the last few days, and now the fever stopped, she coughed much less this evening, she sleeps now with no temperature and almost no coughing... It's Augmentin Pediatric) Please let me know. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi again Detailed Answer: Hi again I think if she is improving and there is no temperature, then I think she was having a viral infection. Viral infections stay for 5 - 10 days and resolve on their own. In such a case antibiotics are not even indicated and should be discontinued to avoid unnecessary side-effects. The doctors must have prescribed her antibiotics after establishing the diagnosis as bacterial infection. If the tests had shown that it is a bacterial infection, then you should consult the physician before discontinuing. In a viral chest congestion, antibiotics are not needed. Regards. Dr Vaishalee