Child suffering from cough and cold. Taking maxtra. Suggest the treatment?

Feb 2013

My son 4.5 years of age weight 21 kg, gets cough and cold frequently in bangalore, we are giving him maxtra that is not helping much, consultation with pediatrician say, he is suffering from any disease, cold and cough is common across kid of this age. Please suggest medicine for cold and cough
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cold and cough are common around this age.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Cold and cough is common complaints in children below the age of 6 years because of frequent exposure to common pathogens such as viruses and allergens.

As the age grows, the frequency of these episodes of cold and cough decrease because of acquisition of resistance to the pathogens.

Frequent cold and cough may be due to cold weather in sensitive children.

For cold, you can continue Maxtra syrup as prescribed by your pediatrician.

For cough, you can give a cough syrup containing mucolytic agent such as Ambrodil in prescribed dose.

If there is wheezing on clinical examination, bronchodilator containing syrups such as Ascoril expectorant or Ambrodil-S may be required.

As these are prescribed medication, you need consultation with the pediatrician for clinical examination and to prescribe appropriate medication for his cold and cough.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.