Child suffering from constipation and gastro intestinal spasm. What is the required treatment?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
constipation and gastro intestinal spasm in a 2 months babyMy son is two months now and he suffers of constipation and gastro intestinal spasm. He cries a lot with pains. I bought lacson syrup for constipation and hyospasmol syrup for gastro intestinal spasm relief for him. can the two syrups be administered at the same time? what else could i use to help him with these problems?

My son is just breasfeeding at the moment and he takes days, 4 to 5 days to bowel and when it happens he cries a lot because it's very hard. The spasms make him cry a lot also specially at nights and you can see him pulling his legs towards his belly like in an effort to relieve his belly pains. Please help me!
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 32 minutes later
Hi

The intestinal spasm in your child appears to be secondary to constipation

In these situations Lacson will take some time to give its effect

Yes you can administer Lacson and Hyospasmol within a short span of time

But with control of constipation antispasmodic will not be needed

For a temporary relief give him glycerine suppository for the neonates

Is there any mucus or blood in the stool ? If yes get his stool examined ?
If no continue with what I have suggested

Hope this helps
Wishing your child a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Child suffering from constipation and gastro intestinal spasm. What is the required treatment? 47 hours later
hi Dr!
please can you clarify me how many days i can give him the two syrups. there is no mucus or blood in the stool Dr.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

Lacson you may continue for six to eight weeks but hyospasmol should be adminstered if there is colic only, as it can cause ileus

Hope this helps
Wishing your child a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Child suffering from constipation and gastro intestinal spasm. What is the required treatment? 45 hours later
Hi Dr!

what is ileus. the problem is that my son has colic almost all the time and cries a lot. he keeps farting most of the day.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Ileus is sort of silent intestine as with antispasmodics the regular movements also get sluggish

I would suggest you get his stool examined as there are chances he has some infection or else he would not keep on crying and farting

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing your child a speedy recovery