Child suffering from cold, cough, blocked nose and breathing difficulty. How to cure this?

Hello, my son (3.5 yrs old) frequently suffers from cough and cold. There are times he's fine during the day but starts coughing immediately after some ports activity (cycling, running, jumping etc.) or soon after he sleeps. This normally happens because his nose gets blocked and he has difficulty breathing. There are times his cough gets so violent that he throws up and goes back to sleep only after throwing up. We showed him to the doctor and he advised Montair (4 mg) on a daily basis coupled with Budecort Inhaler twice a day (with Levolin inhaler in SOS case). I want to know what term describes my child's medical condition, whether these inhalers contain steroids and are there possibilities for him improving as he grows?
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later

Thanx for posting your query on XXXXXXX

From your description, it appears that your child is suffering from allergy. Allergy can manifest is various forms and in different severity. In case of your child it seems to be in the form of asthma which is provoked because of exercise also called exercise induced asthma. As of now it appears to be of mild nature. Your doctor has prescribed you the right medicines and you should continue them without apprehension as these have minimal side effects.

Yes, budecort is a steroid but then treatment of allergy is steroids and inhaled steroids have minimal side effects.

Large number of children outgrow there symptoms as they grow but in some it may persist or may even get worse. Difficult to predict what will happen in future but lets hope that your child gets over this problem.

I hope i`ve answered your queries.

Follow-up: Child suffering from cold, cough, blocked nose and breathing difficulty. How to cure this? 19 hours later
thanx doctor...appreciate ur response...I will continue with the medicines and pray to God my child gets over this with really pains to see him suffering...

thanx again for ur response.

Thanx XXXXXXX and take care.