Child suffering from cold, cough and vomiting. Could it be stomach related or allergy related problem?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is four years old. Since last three months he is having regular cold & cough. Often his nose remains blocked. Sometimes even without cold he suffers from severe cough and vomit white color mucus. Again he is very much sensitive to weather change. He is caching clod/cough with a slight change in weather. He has already taken a full course of Antibiotic (Clamp kid) and other medicines for cold/allergy. Now doctor is saying that he is quite normal. However, we observe that he coughs when he in empty stomach and once he eats/drink something, cough subsides. Is it possible that he is suffering from cough due to stomach related problem? Shall we consult any gasteroenterologist for stomach related problem, or if, he is having any allergy related problem?

Blood and Chest X-Ray report
1.     Blood RE
a.     Hemoglobin     : 10.7gm/dl
b.     Total WBC count     : 9850/cmm
2.     DLC
a.     Poly     :52%
b.     Lympho     :40%
c.     Mono     :02%
d.     Eosino:     06%
e.     Baso     :00%
3.     ESR :18mm (AEFH)
4.     Serum Bilirubin total :0.4mg/dl
1:20     1:40     1:80     1:160     1:320
“O” Antigen     +     +     -     -     -
“H” Antigen     +     +     -     -     -
“A(H)”Antigen     -     -     -     -     -
“B(H)”Antigen     -     -     -     -     -
X-ray report:
     Lung fields show no active parenchymal lesion
     Hilar shadows are normal
     Heart shadow is within normal limit
     Relative position & contour of both the domes are normal
     C.P angles are clear
     Trachea is in midline
     Bony thorax is intact
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Considering the details you have provided ,your childs reports ( which are in normal range ) , the most probable causes for his cough could be either hypersensitivity of the airways ( allergy ) or a underlying gastrointestinal reflux ( GERD).
Actually both conditions may even coexist in mild forms in some children .
For a confirmed diagnosis the following are needed ,
1. Thorough clinical history , auscultation and examination ( also ruling out upper respiratory problems like tonsilloadenoid or sinusitis) by his paediatrician or chest physician .
2. Lung function tests if needed like peak expiratory flow rates ( PEFR) or spirometry , barium ( milk) scan for GERD if suspected .
High resolution chest CT scan if the doctor feels there is a need based on examination.
3. Many a times a thorough questionnaire based evaluation by an allergist or pulmonologist ( chest physician )itself can indicate an allergy or asthma and many tests may not be required .
4. Treatment with anti allergic and bronchodilator medications given as a trial by your doctor during an excacerbation to measure any improvement in the symptoms may be a good indicator .

I definitely agree with you that such a prolonged or frequent cough cold is not without any cause and should be thoroughly evaluated . Your child is otherwise normal and these bouts should not affect his growth and development so I would advise you to consult a chest physician specialising in allergic or asthmatic problems in children to come to a conclusion .
Meanwhile make sure your child is vaccinated against respiratory infection with vaccines like prevenar or pneumovac to decrease his chances of catching frequent respiratory infections .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Child suffering from cold, cough and vomiting. Could it be stomach related or allergy related problem? 3 days later
Here pediatrician referred to ENT spectialist who suggested for X-Ray, Nasopharynx-Lateral view. The X-ray report suggests a case of Hypertrophied adenoid. Therefore ENT specialist now prescribed 1. Metatop nasal spray, 2. Nukast- 4 syp, 3. Qucef syrup (Cefpodoxime proxetil) 4. Coscoril.

As the case is a clear case of adenoid, doctor suggest to continue Metatop spray. Now, I my specific query is that my, son has already taken a full course of antibiotic Clamp kid syp between 13th Nov to 20th Nov. Can we avoid giving another antibiotic Qucef now? Is Clam kid is useful for adenoid? Pl. answer.

Thanking you.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes both clamp kid ( amoxicillin clavulunate ) and Qucef are penicillin derived antibiotics and are effective in adenoid or any upper respiratory infections .
However if the doctor has confirmed significant adenoid hypertrophy or inflammation then it's advisable to continue with the full treatment prescribed including an antibiotic course . I understand that your child has already completed a course of clamp kid in last month ( say fifteen days back ) however sometimes certain bacteria might be resistant to amoxicillin and so infection might not be eradicated by it . Hence I would recommend you go ahead as per the doctors advise to ensure a curative treatment .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries .
Wishing your child good health.
Follow-up: Child suffering from cold, cough and vomiting. Could it be stomach related or allergy related problem? 6 hours later
Madam, Thank you for the to the point reply. Kindly answer my last query, if it is necessary to go for a throat culture to know if the infecting bacteria is resistant to some antibiotics?

Thanking you again.
Thanks for the appreciation.
Throat culture or any culture Should be ideally done before the administration of antibiotics as the results might be affected by the antibiotic therapy .
As he has already had a course of antibiotics and currently on the next one it is not mandatory to have a throat culture which might show a mixed growth.
However it can still be done if the second antibiotic is not started if you wish so , but again how reliable it will be cant be commented on.
So I would not recommend it but nevertheless it's not contraindicated too and might add corroborative evidence in confirming the diagnosis .
Hope I have answered your query .
Wishing your child good health.