Child suffering from cold, blocked nose, fever, wants to take Wikoryl AF syrup, dosage of medication. Safe to give ?

My 11 months old baby is suffering from cold,blocked nose and occassional fever since last 1 day. we had consulted a doctor here and he's prescribed Wikoryl AF syrup (dose of 4 ml - 3 times a day). The medicine bottle however has dosage for ppl above 2 years of age only. Is it safe to give Wikoryl to the baby? - Pathik
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will do my best to provide good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

I feel it is safe to give the Wilkorly to the baby but in low doses. I would use 2 to 4 mL 3 times per day. I recommend you start just with 2 ML as this will be a fine way to start and see if there is a good therapeutic benefit. At 11 months old I see no danger in even higher doses for the baby. This is a medicine which is typically only used for a few days which is why I am confident there should be no issues with your baby.

Hopefully the medicine will help open up the nasal passageways to allow for secretions to drain. make sure you maintain good hydration and feeding of the baby and assure the baby gets plenty of rest. If symptoms persist beyond another 72 hours it may be necessary to consider an antibiotic to treat an infection. Hopefully this will not need to be considered as the baby does have an immune system which should be able to clear any infection.

I thank you again for the query and hope my answer is helpful informative and reassuring for you. If you have any additional concerns i would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga