Child suffering from cold and fever. Given antibiotic, cough syrup and paracetamol. Why does fever and cold comes again?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is 21 months old . He had been suffering from cold and cough with fever since the last 2 months . Every timr we visited the doctor he was put on an antibiotic , cough syrup and SOS paracetamol . He gets cured in 5 days but the same fever and cold comes back after 14 days. In all he had been put on this treatment Atleast thrice in the last 2 months
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 32 minutes later
It's usual for toddlers to get frequent colds around 6-7 bouts in a year.
If the child is exposed to new surroundings recently like daycare or preschool or has other young siblings then he can get infections more frequently.
Other common causes are poor diet ( picky eaters),nutritional anemia, inadequate immunisation or hygiene measures . Many of the times it's their weak and immature immune system which causes them to suffer more but this decreases after 5 yrs of age .
However getting fever thrice in last 2 months is definitely a matter of concern and I would advise you get him evaluated by your pediatrician thoroughly to rule out any nutritional deficiencies as well as make sure to get him fully immunised especially with pneumococcal and influenza vaccines.
It's also not very advisable to give antibiotics for every bout of cold since most of them could be viral and should resolve within 3-4 days on their own . But always get your child evaluated by his doctor and follow his advice accordingly .
If you have taken all the above precautions and still find frequent cough colds do rule out any allergies to dust , pollution etc.
Meanwhile make sure to give him plenty of fluids and a nutritious diet and wash his hands frequently.
Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Child suffering from cold and fever. Given antibiotic, cough syrup and paracetamol. Why does fever and cold comes again? 40 hours later
Blood report suggest my son has normocytic normochromic erythrocytes
. Haemoglobin count is 10.7 RBC Is 3.8
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Normal range of Hemoglobin in this age is 11-13 .
However the rest of the report is fine and does not indicate any long term deficiency or anemia.
Just a little increase in iron XXXXXXX diet like apples, leafy vegetables , dates, red fruits and vegetables would be enough to bring Hb to 11.
However if clinical examination is suggestive your doctor might want to start hematinic syrup .
As of now it's nothing much worrisome and quite expected in toddlers .
Gradually as the child starts accepting good diet his immunity will also increase.
So wishing him good health.