Child suffering from cold. Prescribed with asthalin. Should I give the medication?

Feb 2013

Dear Sir, My son(8 month) suffer with cold for last five days.At first day ,I met doctor who reply got some allergic cold.After four days ,doctor replies it likes he prescribed asthalin ,Pl suggest asthalin can I give ?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: you can give asthalin if there's cough as prescribed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. For simple cold, usually an oral antihistamine containing drops such as Tmnic in prescribed dose is sufficient. Asthma usually presents with chronic or frequent and recurrent cough which often associated wheezing, rapid respirations due to narrowing of smaller airways. Presence of cold is not a feature of asthma. And for first episode of cough it is difficult to tell the cough is due to asthma. But if the child is having cough with features of small airway obstruction such as wheezing on examination, then child can be given Asthalin syrup. Therefore I suggest you to continue Asthalin syrup as prescribed by your Pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.