Child suffering from borderline autism, body balancing, hypo perfusion in bilateral cerebellar regions. Can I go for stem cells therapy?

Dear doctor, my child is suffering from borderline autism, body balancing, hypo perfusion in right temporal and bilateral cerebellar regionsCan I go for stem cells therapy
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 34 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the clinical details provided it looks like your child is suffering from autism and ataxia. Ataxia is a non-specific clinical manifestation implying dysfunction of the parts of the nervous system that coordinate movement, such as the cerebellum. Reduced perfusion in the cerebellum indicates ataxia is due to problems in the cerebellum and its connections.

PET scan in children suffering from autism often shows hypo-metabolism in the temporal regions. However the relationships between these temporal abnormalities and the perceptive, cognitive, and emotional developmental abnormalities are not very clear and is still under evaluation.

Regarding the stem cell therapy in autism and cerebellar disorders, most studies are only in the research phase and at present there are no recommendations for its use for clinical purpose. The recent advances in the field of stem cell therapy is promising and would be a reality in the future.

My recommendation would be for you to wait till we see some promising results about stem cell therapy. Till then do continue on available treatment for autism and physiotherapy for ataxia.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.