Child stung by wasp, puffy eyes, no redness or rash, has numbness. Serious?

my son just was stiung by a wasp and he says his eyes are puffy - the sting was on the left foot fourth toe - no redness or rash - he says he has numbness - is this serious or a reaction to the cream I put on it -? He is ten years old and Anthisan cream was applied.

he is not on meds nor is he allergic to anything as far as I know

Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

It looks like he has developed an anaphylactic (allergic) reaction to the wasp sting. Most of the times there will be just puffiness around the eyes, rashes which are itchy but a few times the reaction is severe and may cause respiratory compromise and profound fall in blood pressure called anaphylactic shock which happens almost immediately after the sting.
I suggest he takes anti histamine like chorphenaramine maleate (popularly called Avil) for a speedy recovery, continue applying the cream. Please approach a GP for the prescription and examination. It should be kept in mind that this drug causes a lot of sleepiness and drowsiness as a side effect

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to get back

I wish your son a speedy recovery