Child stooling several times. Having normal diet and tummy pain. What is the reason?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter is 23 months old and last week, while I was out of town, her dad reported that she began stooling 5 to 8 times a day. I got back yesterday, and today I have witnessed it myself. Today, she had 7 dirty diapers. The stools are formed, some small amounts, some large. Her diet has not changed. She does say her "tummy hurts" sometimes as she is "going" in her diaper.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 26 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
She is going in for possible viral gastroentetitis.
In the beginning the stools may be semi soft and later turn watery.
Just watch her,give her pedialyte or oral electrolytes ,see whether she is passing enough urine and is active.
If her diet has not changed ,it is more likely to be the above problem and unlikely to be food allergy.
Viral gastroenteits takes time about 5-6 days to improve.
Good luck
Dr Uma