Child started vomiting yellow bile, no fever or other symptoms. Worrisome

Pathologist and Microbiologist
My 6 year old woke up Saturday a violently threw up yellow bile & felt fine after, no fever or I'll symptoms. He did it again this morning, with no other symptoms, worried, any insight?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri Wahal 37 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Health Care Magic,

Vomiting of bile indicates an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract beyond the opening of bile duct i.e. second part of the duodenum.

Since, this problem is not present since birth, this obstruction is acquired and can be due to an obstructing agent inside the lumen of the intestine or an obstruction present outside the wall.

At this age, an enlarged lymph node narrowing the lumen of the intestine, a volvulus (rotation of intestine on itself) intussuception (telescoping of the intestine into itself) etc. can be suspected.

Please visit your doctor (pediatrician) for clinical examination of the child. Only after a proper examination, the causes said above can be ruled out.

Meanwhile, maintain good hydration of the child by giving fluids to make for the losses during vomiting.

Hope I have been helpful. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal