Child started vomiting, has itchy rashes on stomach and shoulder. Is this scabies?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I took my three year old to a doctor she started to get a rash today stomach and shoulder that looked like dirt to me. she said it burned and itched she also has been complaining of her eyes hurting. last night she as vomiting and had the runs. today she had the runs also. the doctor said scabies. I would like to know if he is correct. I have my doughts.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Since the child is having vomiting, the rash is likely to be due to a generalized viral infection. Other causes of rashes that are associated with itching are :
(1) dermatitis- an itchy rash can result from contact with an agent or chemical that provokes an allergic response such as a new cream,lotion,soap or detergent.It can also result from ingestion of an allergen.This rash usually forms small red ' bumps' or papules that are itchy.
(2)chicken pox- this can also result in an itchy rash- usually a person would have small water bump lesions which turn into small ulcers
(3) scabies- this looks like small red bumps which commonly occur between the fingers, at the wrist,knees, waist, axilla, buttocks. The itching may be worse at night.
(4)pityriasis rosea- this starts as a small round or oval lesion , eventually other lesions are seen along the lines of the trunk,it is very itchy.
There are other causes but these are the most common.
If the rash does not seem to worsen at night and is not in the typical areas then scabies would be unlikely.
Physical examination is extremely important in dermatology and is usually the key to the diagnosis.
You can apply calamine lotion on the rashes for symptomatic relief and see if they improve spontaneously in next 4-5 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.