Child started vomiting. Diagnosed with virus and lactose intolerance. Suggest some cure

My grandson (9 mos old) started vomiting about two wks ago after his brother (3 yrs old) had vomiting & diarrhea. Took baby to pediatrician, confirmed virus. He continued to vomit for another few days. Took him back to pediatrician who said he may have some lactose intolerance. Switched him to soy based formula. No vomiting from Thurs (day he started new formula)to following Tues. He was on vacation w/family. Two family members came down w/vomiting & diarrhea on Sunday. Baby started vomiting again on Tuesday (so he had almost 4 days w/ no vomiting.) now it's Sunday again & all family members are better except for the baby. He is still vomiting. He does keep down pedialyte & some bottles. He has wet diapers so is not dehydrated. Other than vomiting he is acting perfectly normal.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 17 minutes later

I understand your concern about dehydration and persistant vomitting.
I would like to know some issues related to it like before or after feed. With or without cry, with or without large vomit or is it curdy and small volume?
Given the limited info, I could think of two causes apart from infection…
I surely won't call it viral, because by this time he would have loose stools.
It is seen on both occasions with other people affecting in time frame… may suggest food contamination or food poisoning . Another common reason in formula fed babies is hyperacidity which promptly responds to formula change or antacid syrups. Constipation is a rare cause of vomiting, but curdish possetting is normal for age.
To conclude, till further details… primarily it appears like acidity or indigestion in background of food poisoning.
Please maintain hydration and adequate urine.
Refer back if any further issues… thanks.
Follow-up: Child started vomiting. Diagnosed with virus and lactose intolerance. Suggest some cure 23 minutes later
To answer your questions: no crying or distress before or after vomiting. Usually seams to be vomiting whatever he has just consumed; Most of a 6oz bottle or 2 jars baby food. So it's not like he's just spitting up, although he did do quite a bit of that since early infancy, but again.he has always thrived (gaining weight, etc) & is generally a happy baby so doc didn't really do anything about it.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
hi again
if the diarrhea is settled and vomiting is no more than 3 times in a day; i feel it may be controlled by slower feeding. sometimes rapid distension of stomach too can cause occasional vomits.
Doctors donot worry if no dehydration and good weight gain. They may just ask a stool test at times.
Another important cause of vomiting is reflux disease but unless poor weight gain observed; should be taken as normal variation with diet.