Child started teething, passing loose stool with stomach irritation. Given darolac and neopeptin. Any suggestion?

my baby is 10 months old and i guess she is teething , she has loose motions and stomach irritation , i have been giving her darolac and neopeptin.Even her sleep is not to the routine she normaly has she has night tremours and cries every 1 hr.Is it fine for me to give her lactogen when she is sleeping instead of water?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Teething will not directly cause loose motions. Instead because of the gum irritation a baby is having during teething, they put everything they come come across in their mouth. This may be responsible for infection and loose motions.

I suggest you to continue breast feeding till your baby is 2 year old. This will be particularly useful during night time.

Yes you can give her lactogen 2.

When a baby is sick some sleep disturbance is expected.

Monitor your baby for signs of dehydration.

They include
1. Decreased skin turgor
2. Increasing thirst.
3. Sunken eyes.
4. Irritability.
5. Drowsiness.
6. Decreasing passage of urine.

ORS and other fluids containing salt and water should be given if your baby continues to have loose stool.

Zinc syrup and probiotics are useful in child with diarrhoea.

Please continue to ask further queries as required.

Hope this helps

Follow-up: Child started teething, passing loose stool with stomach irritation. Given darolac and neopeptin. Any suggestion? 7 minutes later
I dont breast feed her anymore due to lack of milk from her 7 month.So only lactogen is given from then.She is 72 cm tall and 11kg weight.Her urination is frequent as she drinks a lot of liquid in the form of juices and water.She has infant eczema hence most of the fruits are not prescribed for her.I gave cyclopalm and the irritation seems to have stopped.Is there ORS for babies?I buy Darolac.Is she over weight?.I do give her zincovit and delicious daily.Is it safe to give her lactogen during nights ? because ive have read that lactose causes gastric irritation in babies.please do advice.
Thanks in advance XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 19 minutes later

You are welcome.

Every formula contains lactose (unless it is a lactose free formula).

Since you started on a formula already and baby was asymptomatic you need not now think of lactose intolerance in your baby.

For babies you will have to give low osmolar ORS is what is given when they have loose motions and dehydration.

Weight of a 10 month old depends on various factors including birth weight. What is the birth weight of your baby? Normally the birth weight triples by the age of 1 year.

As per the WHO growth charts a 10 month old female girl child should be weighing between 6.7kg to 10.7kg. 10.7kg is what is called the 97th percentile line.

So your baby is just around that upper range. So do not worry.

Hope this helps.
Continue to ask further queries as required.

I will be more than happy to answer them.