Child started passing loose stool. Red spot appeared all over body. Required treatment?

My 2.5 year old grandson has had loose stool all day. He also has red spots on his body and red streaks on his face. His bottom and genetalia are extremely red - he's never had diaper rash before, but this is very severe diaper rash. It is very painful for him.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

I would like to have some more information on your grandson:
1. How many motions did he pass in the day?
2. What was the colour and consistency of the motion?
3. Is he having any fever?
4. When did the red spots and streaks start appearing on his body and face? Are they increasing?

Your grandson may be having viral intestinal infection and the red spots and streaks may be a part of the infection. Without having a look at them it shall be difficult to give an exact reason. It is important that your grandson gets adequate fluids so that he does not get dehydrated.

The diarrhoea can cause redness of the anal and genital area which is very painful. After cleaning him you can apply some bland ointment or oil to give relief. Though difficult but the ideal situation would be leave the area open.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your grandson an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal