Child started feeling dizzy with racing heart rate. What could be causing this?

Question
My 13 year-old daughter came home from her friends house. She said she wasn't feeling well. Feeling dizzy and heart racing. She's been lying down for about an hour and has had no change. Heart feels likes its beating out of her chest.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

In such a scenario the first thing to be ruled out is arrythmias of the heart.

What is the pulse rate like or the heart rate like? (If you can count it for one minute)

Did she have similar problem previously?

Is she having anemia or her palms or soles pale?

Is she running fever?

Are there any other associated problems?

An ECG after physical examination will help in confirming the diagnosis.

Please reply in detail so that I can help you better.

Follow-up: Child started feeling dizzy with racing heart rate. What could be causing this? 16 minutes later
She is 5ft 1inches tall. Weighs about 90lbs. She is fairly active. Did have a short episode like this after P.E. at school. She eats regularly and drinks lots of water. Diet is healthy. Tonight she went for a bike ride around the block and got back to her friends house feeling dizzy and heart pounding. When she got home she said she wasn't feeling well and said her heart felt funny. It was beating very hard and felt irregular. I told her to go my down and see if it changed. It hasn't changed too much. Still pounding hard. She says she just wants to sleep. She can wait to go to Dr tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 9 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Normally in health people heart rate can rise after exercise like bike ride.
But such a fast heart rate should come down after rest for some time.

How long she rested for now?

If even after some rest the heart rate does not come down or she continues to feel dizzy you should go to the doctor and should not wait till tomorrow.

Please feel free to ask any further questions. I will be more than happy to answer you.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor
Pediatrics

Follow-up: Child started feeling dizzy with racing heart rate. What could be causing this? 9 minutes later
I don't think I should wait. She is feeling cold and clammy also. Heart rate felt a little slower but then speeds up and I feel her heart beat oddly. Like palpitations.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

From you reply I think your daughter is having a arrythmia.

Please take her to the doctor immediately.

Please feel free to ask further questions.