Child started crying after head injury. Soft bruise appeared. Now behaving normally. Concerned

hi, my three year old fell off the couch and hit his head...front right side. he immediately cried, I comforted him a few minutes and now he seems fine. His eyes look good, he's talking, laughing, playing, and drinking. My concern is this; there's a light bruise but the area didn't get a bump. Instead its slightly sunk in and feels soft. Its about a 1/2 across and is tender to touch.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 8 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

You should not worry much.

Children of 3 years age have very elastic skulls and the skull gaps are not totally fused. The height of fall is not much. So the brain is not easily injured in such cases.
The bruise is due to the hit and will go away slowly.
The sunken area should be observed. It may not cause any significant deficit.

It is very uncommon to have a depressed skull fracture in such falls in young children.

As he is fine and laughing etc., you should also feel fine and give simple pain killer like paediatric paracetamol.

Keep a watch for abnormal behavior, vomiting, headache, drowsiness. Seek medical attention if these occur at all.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!