Child snores while sleeping. Having runny nose and thick ear wax. What could be wrong?

Jun 2015

Hi, my 2 year old son snoores really loud, he always has a runny nose and a lot of thick ear wax... What could this be from?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Adenoid hypertrophy Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The symptoms your son is suffering from are co related to each other and is attributed to hypertrophy of Adenoids (they are a group of lymphoid tissue which enlarge in presence of an infection/inflammation of upper respiratory tract). Presence of enlarged Adenoids blocks the upper respiratory tract during sleep leading to snoring. Moreover, it blocks the Eustachian tube (connecting tube between Nasopharynx & ear) leading to ear infection & wax build up. Management involves: 1. Antihistamine preparations for symptomatic relief. 2. Xylometazoline nasal spray. 3. Protection from exposure to cold, dust or other allergens. 4. If symptoms are not controlled by medical measures, then the Adenoids need to be removed surgically. So, kindly consult an ENT specialist for a proper clinical examination & start treatment. There is no need to worry, your son will be fine. Wishing him a good health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.