Child smells like onions, recently developed body odor.

My 7 yr old son smells like onions. He has recently developed body odor, but in the past few days has had an onion odor. He bathed last night, but has the odor this morning.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is it very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations.

You have indicated that your young son has developed a peculiar odor recently. There are a few different things which could be contributed to this.

The first thing which comes to mind would be some type of skin inflammation or infection. If you do not see any skin changes or rash this would be unlikely.

Other things which come to mind would be more inclined to deal with a metabolic abnormality. This includes changes in electrolyte balance or in blood sugar. Also if there has been any change in the diet recently which would possibly contribute to this you might also consider that. I would try to think back to what he has been eating or drinking over the last three or four days to see if there is anything which is new or which is different than he has been exposed to in the past.

I would observe things for the next day or so and make sure he maintains excellent fluid hydration drinking plenty of water every day. If the order continues for more than the next day or two I would consider making an appointment with his pediatrician. It may be necessary to do some laboratory tests to make sure there is no metabolic abnormality. As long as he otherwise appears healthy I do not think this is an emergency.

Thank you very much for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert