Child sleeping more, stomach pain, no fever or coughing, lethargic. What could be the problem?

My daughter slept from 6pm Tuesday til 6:45am Wednesday. Her camp counselor said that she was complaining of stomach pain. No fever, she pooped this morning. Had a piece of toast and slice of XXXXXXX for breakfast and took another 2 hour nap this morning. No fever, no coughing, a little more lethargic than usual. What could be the problem??
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 4 hours later

I think it is nothing serious. Your daughter probably has dyspepsia/gastritis/peptic ulcer disease or intestinal worm infection. So, she complaining of stomach pain. Her lethargy is probably due to heavy exertion during camp activities, excessive salt loss during activities or rarely may it be her stomach problem.

She needs to undergo some laboratory investigation- stool for ova, parasite, cyst, complete blood count, serum electrolyte, Upper GI endoscopy (if required) to see stomach pathology.

You may follow the below advise-

1.     Avoid oily, spicy, junk food.
2.     Plenty of water with plain salt
3.     Plenty of XXXXXXX leafy vegetable
4.     Make take a course of albendazole if stool become positive for ova, parasite, cyst
5.     Can take an antacid/H2 blocker/proton pump inhibitor granule.

Consult with your physician, test to be done and follow his advice for further management.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your child a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly