Child sleeping excessively, stomach ache, sensitive to touch, no vomiting or diarrhea, no fever. Should we go to hospital?

Excellent

Question
My 7 year old brother has been sleeping for almost 3 days. He has been complaining about a stomach ache that seems to be sensitive to the touch. Yesterday he said the pain was around his navel, today he is pointing more to his intestines. All he wants to do is sleep. He doesn't even want to sit up. He hasn't been vomiting or having any diarrhea. He doesn't have a fever either. He is normally a VERY active and talkative boy. He barely answers questions when he is laying down and acts like he cant even keep his eyes open. He says he feels like he ate a stone. Should we take him to the hospital?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare magic!
"He says he feels like he ate a stone. Should we take..... XXXXXXX What a great depth he has given to his feelings, I am so impressed with the wits of the boy, I bet even a grown-up would not be able to pin point the feelings to that dexterity!
Three day in bed for a seven years old child is like a century in bed!
He must be very sick, please take him to hospital as soon as possible.
This type of posture in patients is indicative of very serious diseases in the abdomen like perforation, volvulus, intussusception, appendicitis, diverticulitis or peritonitis.
This type of sick appearance is called Hippocratic Facies in medicine.
Your physician will be a better guide for you once he has details after examination and the investigations, the chest xrays and abdominal xrays and ultrasound abdomen would be quite helpful in diagnosing the underlying problem.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.
Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

I wish your younger a great health!

Follow-up: Child sleeping excessively, stomach ache, sensitive to touch, no vomiting or diarrhea, no fever. Should we go to hospital? 22 hours later
Thank you so much! Today he went to the doctor and they found beads stuck in his ear. Although he is still complaining about a stomach ache and isn't eating
Do you think something else is wrong?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physician's desk!
I am surprised!
How did he get it and why did not he tell that!
I think they have taken the beads out, it might have lead to an infection that has made the boy to be sick.
If there is no fever and pain and the bead site then the clinician should still try to find out if anything is wrong in abdomen.
Because beads in ear can not explain his loss of appetite, please get the work up,
finding one wrong thing does not vouch safe against the occurrence of other.

I think the advise would be helpful for you.
If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.
And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to express your feelings in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Child sleeping excessively, stomach ache, sensitive to touch, no vomiting or diarrhea, no fever. Should we go to hospital? 2 hours later
He said he does not remember putting them in his ear and that going to the doctor to take them out did nothing for him. I will see how he acts today; hopefully, he'll start feeling better. If not, I will suggest to my mom to take him back to the doctor. Thank you for the great advice. I'll close the discussion now and write a review. Have a great day! God bless you!

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Okay, keep a watch on his health.
Sometimes children do not accept there act just to avoid rebuking.
May be he by mistake put the beads while fiddling with them.

I hope the boy will get well soon.