Child severely handicapped, on wheelchair , cannot walk or talk. What is the life expectancy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
A child with date of birth of 04/24/96. She is severly handicapped, in a wheelchair, at home, unable to walk or talk. We are looking for her life expectancy because we insure her for her life time.

Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

I am sorry about your daughter and I am sure you give her all possible support and care. First, it is very hard, actually impossible to predict life expectancy in such conditions and none can tell you this. However, I can tell that her life depends on her cardio respiratory function primarily. So inability to talk or walk isn’t indicting life threatening condition for itself. If these inabilities are associated with breathing difficulties, air gasping and coughing or heart dysfunction, which are worsening, then her life expectancy is significantly decreased and can be within 3-12 months. If there is not such cardio respiratory insufficiency then she can live for several or more years.
I do not know the exact diagnosis, so if you provide me more information about her current condition and diagnosis, I would be able to give more detailed answer.