Child seems to have good appetite but does not have weight gain. Advised CYP-L. Is it safe?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello Doctor,

I have a 1.5 yr. old baby girl. She don't have eating problem. But her weight is not gaiining. Now a days her weight is only 7.2 kg. My Docotor gives her CYP-L. is it good to give her this medicine at this age? will it increase her weight?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing to healthcare magic

Cyp-L has cyproheptadine. It increases appetite only in individuals with hypothalamic (part of brain) lesions. And is a drug which is to be used with caution because of its side effects like dizziness, urinary retention, fever, dry mouth, loss of attention, etc.

I would advice you to continue only for a short duration like 2 weeks. If there is no improvement in appetite, better stop it !!

If your child is active do not worry.

Try doing a master health check to look for micronutrient deficiencies and undiagnosed body problems. I assume you are deworming her every 6 months.

Give her nutritious foods, vegetables and fruits. Do not dilute milk which is a common mistake mothers do.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Child seems to have good appetite but does not have weight gain. Advised CYP-L. Is it safe? 3 days later
Thanks Doctor!!

But i have question regarding micronutrient deficiencies.

Can you please explain me how should i check it? there is any test to check in lab?

Also please find brief of her daily intake:
8.30 am : Milk (3/4 glass), 11.00a.m. : snacks (pohe , paratha , upma XXXXXXX etc 1 bowl), 1.00p.m. : 1/2 chapati, sabzi dal & rice, 4.00p.m. : 1 cup milk , 5.30p.m.: fruit, 8.45p.m. dinner same as lunch.

also i gave her deworming medicine.

can you please tell me she is taken enough food then why her weight is not increasing?

Should i make any changes in her diet? should i start her pediasure with milk?

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

You can get these tests done:
a) complete blood count
b) peripheral smear, RBC indices
c) serum ferritin, TIBC
d) stool routine
e) serum calcium. Alkaline phosphatase

Regarding diet,
I would suggest you to add ghee or oil with every feed
Kids need more calories esp in breakfast.

Your breakfast is insufficient. Do give her what youhave for breakfast and present the food in a nice form . Eg chapathi in milk, or paratha soaked in dahi.

You can give pediasure too, once or twice a day.

Do increase your fruits to atleast three times a day.

Try all seasonal fruits.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Child seems to have good appetite but does not have weight gain. Advised CYP-L. Is it safe? 22 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your presious help!!

I will do these test. Where should i send the report of these test?

Also I will be very thankful if you provide me the diet plan for my kid.

Thank once again.

Answered by Dr. Arun 34 minutes later

You can e-mail the reports at YYYY@YYYY with reference to my name Dr Arun

Diet chart:
8am cereals with milk or chapathi/paratha with dahi
10 am egg plus fruits
1pm dal rice, vegetable subzi plus upma,etc
4 pm snacks, fruits again
6 pm milk with pediasure
9pm rice dal or chapathi paratha
Do add ghee and other high calorie foods in plenty. High calorie foods are milk products like cheese, butter, ice-cream, etc.

Dr Arun