Child screams a lot, high pitch. Causes discomfort. Will it lead to hearing loss?

ENT Specialist
hello :)

I just have simple question, but I really wanna hear it from a professional.

I have a boy who is 1 years old, and he has started to scream a lot - and he screams this extremely high tones/pitch, that really hurts and are very uncomfortable. My hearing is a little sensitive also, so it only makes it worse.

I wanna know for sure: Is this XXXXXXX for my hearing and could this lead to an hearing loss later ?

Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

1. It is not XXXXXXX for you to listen to your boy's screaming. It is very unlikely that it may lead to a permanent hearing loss.

2. While it is true that a baby's cry can cross 110 dB (decibel) Hearing Sound Pressure Level, a single loud cry next to the ear or a few minutes of intense crying will only cause irritation and stress. You may get a temporary buzzing in the ear, but permanent loss is unlikely.

3. If your hearing is sensitive, try to pacify your son as soon as possible.

4. Get your ears examined by a local otorhinolaryngologist (ENT Specialist) and get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (I/A) done. Some people have hair cell damage in the cochlea which leads to a phenomenon known as Recruitment. This causes certain sounds to be perceived as abnormally loud.

5. Your attached report is an OPG X-ray( an Xray of the jaw bones). This is not related to your hearing issue.

I must emphasize that this is a common query. There is no cause for worry.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.