Child screaming, choking, coughing, viral infection. Taken antihistamine, calpol. What is the treatment and advise?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my 1 year old has been screaming, choking, coughing and every night due to a 'viral infection' my local GP says he has. It has gone on for well over 6 weeks now and i'm growing really concerned. During the day the symptoms aren't as obvious but at night they're terrible. Been to the doctor 4 times now and keep being told the same thing. We have tried antihistamine and Calpol but nothing helps..
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Any viral respiratory infection which causes symptoms for more than one month should be evaluated further to rule out superadded bacterial infection.
This can be done by your child's pediatrician by thorough examination and tests like X-ray , complete blood counts , ESR , etc
Alternatively if there is strong suspicion the doctor may start a course of antibiotic like Cefixime or azithromycin etc to watch for improvement especially if the child is apprehensive to undergo tests.
Considering the details you have provided its possible that it is a viral infection which is resolving gradually since the symptoms are only present on lying down at night.
However if there is no improvement or symptoms are static for more than last two weeks then it's advisable you consult your pediatrician and get the tests done to confirm the diagnosis .
This can also help in ruling out any allergic component of cough which can occur in children with family history of asthma or allergy.
So please do not worry and discuss it with your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your son a speedy recovery.