Child scratched elbow after fall, swollen. Applied Fucidin. Need to give oral medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hello Doctor,
My son 5 years old fell down on the road and got a scratch near his right elbow. I washed the wound and applied Fucidin ointent. But it looks little swollen. Do i need to give him any medicine orally?
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Fucidin ointment local application is enough if it is a minor scratch or abrasion injury.

The swelling will subside usually within 24 to 48 hours.

For pain you can give paracetamol syrup in prescribed dose.

Observe the wound for any pus formation, discharge, surrounding redness, and consult the doctor if you find these findings which are suggestive of secondary bacterial infection and requires oral antibiotic.

Check his immunization record for the uptodate status for tetanus toxoid (DPT) and you can consult the doctor if he is due for tetanus injection.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child scratched elbow after fall, swollen. Applied Fucidin. Need to give oral medicine? 10 hours later
Doctor,
Thanks for answering. I have a query about his vaccination. I don't have his immunization record right now. It would be helpful if you could tell me what are the vaccines to be given at the age of 5 (since he is due for it.) and by the way we are living in India (Chennai).

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

The following vaccines to be given at the age of 5 years as per the IAP immunization schedule.

1.DPT Booster.

2.Varicella (chickenpox) second dose.

3.MMR second dose.

4.Typhoid vaccine Booster.

5.Oral Polio drops.

Consult your pediatrician and arrange for these vaccinations as per the advise.

Regards.