Child passing stool with pink color. Should I be concerned?

Hi doctor, my 3 year old daughter has been doing stool with some kind of pink fushia color in it
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Stool color variations are seen most often in children. But, we need to recognize which of these variations should be a cause for concern.

Talking about the pink or fuschia color stool of your daughter, this can be caused due to the following reasons:
-Medications (eg. antibiotics, anxiety medication, etc.)
-Food (eg. jelly and other food products that have a red coloring agent in them)
-Drinks (especially rehydration drinks, these also have coloring agents in them; other drinks with coloring agents in them)

The above 3 causes are not of concern and if possible, should not be treated either. The one and only cause of concern with this particular color of stool is:
-Digestive track bleed (mostly a bright red bleed seen separately, not mixed with the stool). The other possibility could be hard stools causing tears around the anus, due to which blood can be seen in the stools.

Red or blood-colored stools should be brought to the notice of a doctor (pediatrician). As your daughters stools are pink, I would like you to rule out all the above causes (food, medication, drinks, etc.), and if you think that after excluding all these from her diet, you can still see the abnormal color in her stools, please visit a doctor.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.