Child passing motion after eating. Suggested econorm and had alternate motion now advised Normet. Further?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My eleven month old son has been passing motion immediately after having his food for the past week.i feed him solid food four times a day and also similac advanced 2 once at night and once in the morning when he wakes up And also breast milk.my pd suggested econorm for the first three days but after my son passed alternative loose n paste like motion she suggested normet,pls help for further clarification
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue medication as prescribed by doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Most common causes of diarrhea around this age are virus, bacteria, and some times protozoal organisms.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea of any cause is to maintain the hydration of the child by giving oral sips of oral rehydration solutions (ORS) like Pedialyte.

Viral diarrhea responds to oral probiotics like econorm sachets and other supportive treatment with ORS and oral zinc.

Diarrhea due to other causes such as bacteria or protozoa requires antibiotic therapy to treat the infection in addition to supportive treatment such as ORS, probiotic, and zinc.

I suggest you continue normet as prescribed by your pediatrician.

Maintain his hydration of the body by giving sips of ORS. Monitor his hydration status by his activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of oral mucosa.

If the loose motions persists even with the course of antibiotic or if the child shows any signs of dehydration, consult the pediatrician for follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child passing motion after eating. Suggested econorm and had alternate motion now advised Normet. Further? 15 minutes later
Thank you, I would like to know what food to give him , I have been giving him ragi gruel in the morning which has rice , wheat , ragi and pottu kadalai dhal.
For lunch dhal,rice, carrot or tomato or cabbage that I started recently
For evening potato XXXXXXX or pomogranet
At night oats and also a small dosa with ghee for break fast and dinner

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Family pot feeds, made soft & without spices.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

You are welcome.

Thank you for getting back.

Around 11 months of age you can give soft food that can be chewed, avoiding spices.

A variety of food from your family pot can be given 4-6 times a day gradually increasing the quantity.

At breakfast you can give Idli, soft dosa, and small pieces of softened chapathi.

At lunch you can continue rice with dhal, cooked vegetables. And you can add ghee to rice.

You can continue the evening and dinner menu as you are presently giving.

The food should be locally available easily, and try to feed him from your family pot, food should be soft and without hot spices.

While introducing any new food, give it in small quantity and gradually increase over 1 week to 10 days.

Introduce only one new food variety at a time and if you want to introduce a second variety give it after some days in a similar fashion.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child passing motion after eating. Suggested econorm and had alternate motion now advised Normet. Further? 5 hours later
Thank you doctor,

Just want to know if any food disagrees with the baby how will it show and will eating different fruits or vegetables result in cold or loose motion ,and ,when a baby has loose motion what would be the best food to give (eleven month old).

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mainatain a food diary. Rice, dhal, and curd.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Food allergy will manifest by vomitings, loose stools, abdominal cramps, and a skin rash especially around mouth.

You have to make a food diary by noting any occurrence of this type of problems after introducing any new variety of food.

If one type of food is consistently causing problems, then you think that it is not suitable for baby.

Any new food should be given in a little quantity, and should observe. If there is no problem, you can increase its quantity gradually.

At a time only one new food variety to be introduced. If you introduce two or more new food varieties, it is difficult to know which food is causing allergic problems in the child.

During the period of loose stools, the best food to be given is rice based soft food.

Dhal water can be given. Try to avoid or decrease milk during the time of loose stools.

Curd can be given as it contains natural probiotics thus help to restore gut homeostasis.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. If you don't have any doubts, you can close the session and I request you to rate my answer.

Regards.