Child passing motion after drinking milk. Temporary relief from wallmycine and carmicide. Concerned

Sep 2012

My four month baby doing motion after milk we consult ped. doctor they started Wallmycine and carmicide for 5 days motion get reduce but after stop the medicine it started again.
My daughter motion some like foam.
We have done stool culture , stool routine also , Doctor suggested 5 injection course but again for 5 day he started Wallmycine then by seeing stool routine report he started Digiplex and Carmicide for month and Nudy's syrup for 5 days after giving Nudy's syrup motion came in control but after we stop that again motion started like foam.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, after going through your description of the gastrointestinal problem of your baby, I think there is very high possibility that she is suffering from lactose intolerance. It is a common condition. It occurs due to genetic susceptibility. Babies may develop it at different ages. Even it can be seen in adolescent age groups.

So, what you will do?

You have to do pH test of her stool from a good laboratory. If it is acidic, that means below 7 then the diagnosis is confirmed.

If, she really has this disease (confirmed by stool pH), she does not need any medicine. You can stop all of them. Just you have to give her lactose free baby food alongwith breastmilk. That will be enough. But, you should consult with her treating doctor about this condition and also about the baby food free of lactose.

Lastly, do a stool pH test and consult with her treating doctor about lactose intolerance.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Child passing motion after drinking milk. Temporary relief from wallmycine and carmicide. Concerned 46 minutes later
Will above test result came in Stool Culture report.
If not can I do above Test and upload report , plus Routine report to you.
Can you also consult Pediatrics G astrologist.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 15 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

No, the pH is determined in another test. You can do it and upload the report.

Lastly, you can consult with a pediatric gastroenterologist. But it would be better to consult after doing that particular aforementioned test.

Hope you have your answers.