Child passing blood in stools. Whats the reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My Daughter is 3 yrs old , it was found today that she was passing blood in stool,
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 23 minutes later
Blood in stools in children can be due to various causes like gastroenteritis , worm infestation ,viral hemorrhagic fevers, constipation induced hemorrhoids or fissures or a
bleeding disorder( low platelets or hemolysis etc)
Now if you have seen XXXXXXX red blood streaks in stool or dark tarry stools( indicating occult blood in stools) then it's advisable to consult her pediatrician and get her thoroughly evaluated.
The doctor after careful physical examination and stool routine and culture test can come to the exact diagnosis.
Sometimes an ultrasound abdomen might be needed to rule out any XXXXXXX pathology if suspected on examination .
Please do not panic as even minor problems like constipation or worms can be the underlying cause especially if the child has no other symptoms like fever, weakness , pallor of skin or bleeding from any other site.
In case she has any such mentioned symptoms then you need to consult her doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.