Child on formula food and teething phase and sips of ORS. How much water should be given?

Feb 2013

Hi doc,
my son is 6 months old and i have started introducing him to solid food. Currently his diet includes Rice, baby Oats, XXXXXXX Banana and curd given in rotation. i would mix little bit of water while preparing the puree of the above food. i want to know do i need to give my baby additional water once he finishes his solid food? i am giving him 30ml water after rice and oats. i keep reading about "water intoxication"in baby's so i was just wondering how much water should a 6 month old consume in a day? do i need to increase/decrease his water content?

my son is going through the teething phase and passes stools 5-6 times a day. i also give him sips of ORS throughout the day (30ml max).
my son is completely formula fed so he gets water when i prepare his formula as well.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Yes you need to give additional water in addition to the water mixed for infant solid food and formula milk.

In between and after completion of his feeds, you can offer sips of water.

The intake of water and quantity of water per day depends on his thirst and nothing to worry about water intoxication as normal healthy children stop drinking water when their thirst is being met.

You can continue the present solid foods which you already started giving.

If the stools are not loose and watery, there is no need to give ORS.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Happy parenting.