Child on formula food and teething phase and sips of ORS. How much water should be given?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi doc,
my son is 6 months old and i have started introducing him to solid food. Currently his diet includes Rice, baby Oats, XXXXXXX Banana and curd given in rotation. i would mix little bit of water while preparing the puree of the above food. i want to know do i need to give my baby additional water once he finishes his solid food? i am giving him 30ml water after rice and oats. i keep reading about "water intoxication"in baby's so i was just wondering how much water should a 6 month old consume in a day? do i need to increase/decrease his water content?

my son is going through the teething phase and passes stools 5-6 times a day. i also give him sips of ORS throughout the day (30ml max).
my son is completely formula fed so he gets water when i prepare his formula as well.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 17 hours later

Your 6 months old is getting good food and if he is passing enough urine and stool, then no need to give extra water and do not give ORS, give plain water instead.

ORS is given in the state of diarrhea to replace electrolytes.

You are already giving semiliquid diet and if there is good weight and good output of urine then just do not worry. Gradually increase food and water content as age advances.

Let me know if you have more queries.