Child on azithromycin for throat infection. Blood test done. Looking for advice

Hi Doctor,

My daughter 3.3 yrs old , is not eating anything from past few days.
I took to doctor, she gave antibiotic-Azithromycin for throat infection and told to do blood test for further investigation. Iam attaching the blood report. Could you please advice me on how to proceed and let me know how to make her eat.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 4 hours later
Greetings dear XXXXXXX,
I am really concerned that your daughter is not eating well. As your doctor advised it could be throat infection which makes difficult to swallow. Please complete the full course of antibiotics (3-5 days).
Appetite does take some time to improve. It should not be a real concern as she will start eating well once she recovers from her illness. Till then make sure she takes atleast a good amount of fluids in the form of water and milk. Also give her some bread, biscuits for energy.
Her blood reports look fine. Urine has some pus cells which means if she doesn't improve,urine culture may be of some help.
Be in touch with your doctor (I suppose he/she is a pediatrician) and follow his/her advice. She will be alright in few more days. Take care.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: Child on azithromycin for throat infection. Blood test done. Looking for advice 8 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.
I have one follwup question. What is this pus cells in urine sample mean ? What is its implication. Also my doctor adviced not to give milk ?
Please let me know your comments.
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 40 hours later
Greetings dear XXXXXXX
Pus cells of more than 5-10 cells per hpf means that your child may have hence "may have urinary infection". If your child's problem persists, it can be taken as a clue for further evaluation like doing urine culture which detects the organism causing infection. In such a case antibiotics can be added according to the reports.
Regarding not giving milk, I don't understand the reason behind not giving milk. We usually recommend to avoid milk during loose stools (diarrhea). If milk is the main item she takes, depriving it will make her more starving.
Hope by now she is improving. If there is anything I can clarify please mail me. Take care.