Child on amox for strep. Getting pain in neck and stomach. Should I consult a pediatrician?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My granddaughter tested positive for strep thru our ENT was a culture growing test.took five days She is still complaining aboutiher neck throat and belly hurting - her throat looks better but complaining. She had amox for 20 days. Yesterday was last day. Should we take her to see our pediatrician? Her triplet brother is now complaining with throatand belly he was also on amox for strep - however he was not tested any suggestions? I am worried about the neck pain which she has complained about going on a month now She did have swollen glands when we went to ENT and they finally diagnosed her with strep - she was complaining that her neck hurt then. I think we are more worried about neck pain than anything. Her throat is still a little yellow - it had pustule blisters everywhere when she was diagnosed with strep.Cld
amox not have been strong enough to take care of the strep even though given for 20 days?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
First, I need to admit that Amoxicillin strep resistance isnt very often, bit is possible. 20 days is too much. Dont force antibiotic treatment like that. It is useless.
Some other antibiotics (azithromycin and the cepaholsporins)can be used if your doctors consider it as a resistance.

This is first possibility. Second, it could have been combined bacterial and viral infection(herpes, EBV or respiratory viruses). Sometimes throat vesicles which are caused by viruses and can be considered as pustules.
Neck usually hurts in throat infection. Not just because of swollen glands but because of coughing and sternocleidomastoid muscle straining during swallowing and talking. So this is nothing to be worried about. At children belly also hurts in any infection.
You should only worry if you notice prolonged fever with breathing difficulties, inability to swallow or tonsil hypertrophy.
So wait for a one more week, dont take amox anymore,if symptoms persist consider another antibiotic. After treatment tonislectomy should be definitely done to prevent it from happening again.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help