Child not interested to have food. Suggest orifer, aptivate and zytee gel. Are these safe?

Question
My kid( 1 year and 20 days) is not taking any food since a week. We used feed her rice (ghee and curd). After consulting a padeatrician we were advised the below medication

Zytee gel to be applied in the mouth
Aptivate(before food)
Orifer(2 months 1.5 ml twice a day)

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 26 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I require few more details of your kid.
What is her current weight? What is her birth weight?
Are you feeding your kid with anything else other than rice, curd, ghee, milk? (now you should be feeding with more and more vegetables, fruits etc)
Are you still breast feeding your baby?
Are there any associated complaints?
How many times a day is your baby passing urine?

Your baby might be having oral ulcers. That could be the reason why your pediatrician might have prescribed zytee gel for her. (Mouth ulcers could be a reason for decreased feeding because of the pain)

I hope you child is playful, active.
In a active and playful i suggest parents not to worry about feeding. Some times they may not accept a particular substance and some times they may not accept much for few days. Not to worry if the baby is other wise normal. Do not force feed your kid. This force feeding will result in feeding problems.

Your doctor prescribed iron tonic. If anemia is a cause of her poor feed then she will improve with this.

So in a active and otherwise normal kid short duration of not accepting feed is normal. They feed normally after few days.

Update me with further details to help you better.

Hope this helps you.

You may also ask me a direct question by clicking on the following URL....... So that i can help you online regularly with my suggestion.....

WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Child not interested to have food. Suggest orifer, aptivate and zytee gel. Are these safe? 19 minutes later
Thanks for the quick response:

Below are the answers:

What is her current weight? 8 kg
What is her birth weight? 3.1 kg
Are you feeding your kid with anything else other than rice, ghee, milk? (now you should be feeding with more and more vegetables, fruits etc) Yes we feed her bioled beans, boiled carrots, strawberry, banana, chikoo and Rava(sweet) and nestum stage 3
Are you still breast feeding your baby? No breast feeding was stopped by 9th month
Are there any associated complaints? No
How many times a day is your baby passing urine? aprrox... 10 times

baby does not drink milk at all...

Baby is active...

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 49 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I appreciate your concern for your baby and thank you for coming back with further details.

A child normally triples her birth weight by the age of 1 year....... so your baby should be atleast 10kg by this age.

Did you baby fall sick in between? I mean may be few episodes of diarrhoea, fever, respiratory infection etc. Those could be the cause of that weight (which is only marginally lower than expected)

If there is no other complaint and baby is active, my previous advise stands. Do not worry (Some times they may not accept a particular substance and some times they may not accept much for few days. Not to worry if the baby is other wise normal. Do not feed your kid forcefully. This force feeding will result in feeding problems.

Some babies do not like certain things (In your baby milk). Do not worry. Try other protein XXXXXXX substances like egg etc.

May be you may try milk again after some time. or may be try milk in some other form like a milk shake with fruit, your baby may enjoy that.

My opinion is that you should have continued breast feeding for your baby. Breast feeding should be ideally continued till 2 years of age. Try to pass on this message to every one around, does a lot of good for the society.

Hope this helps you.

Enjoy the great moments of life with your kid. These moments will not come again.

You may also ask me a direct question by clicking on the following URL....... So that I can help you online regularly with my suggestion.....

WWW.WWWW.WW