Child not gaining weight, taking vitamin D daily, feeding Nan Pro Gold. Can I give multivitamins and vitamin D together?

My son is 10 week old now. He was born 3.9kg, in the first 6 weeks, i did breastfed and bottle fed with s26 gold, his poo was hard and every 2-3days. His weight was 4.9kg at 6 week old. After that i changed to fed him with Nan Pro Gold , no more breastfed and his poo is every second day,and he take about 650-750ml /24hrs. And his weight was 5.3kg at 8weeks. And he had immunisation at 8 weeks and he eating less than normal about 10 days. And when he is 10 week old now , his weight was only 5.7kg. I think he is not gain weight well. He is taking vitamin D drop everyday at the moment. Should I change back to S26 now and how i can improve his feeding to gain weight well? I am feeding him every 2-3hrs and try to increase the amount but he not finish the bottle. Somtimes, he sleeping about 4 hrs in night but he still drink only same amount as 3hrs feeding. And when I was pregnant , my vitamin D level were low so the doctor suggested me after my baby born i should give him the multivitamins until he 12 month old. Can I give him vitamin D drop and multivitamin together, or just only multivitamins ?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 hours later

I understand your concern as a mother. Let me reassure you that the weight of your son is normal at 5.7 kg now at 10 weeks. To my knowledge, he is weighing appropriate for your age of 10 weeks.

Moreover, weight fluctuations do happen in neonates, especially in the first 3 months after months. To let you know, the weight of the baby vaguely doubles by 5 months. You can check his weight again at 5 months and confirm if it has doubled the birth weight.

This is a general idea for you.

As for his feeding habits are concerned, please continue with Nan Pro Gold. Frequent changes in feeding are not advisable in babies. In my opinion, his feeding habits, bowel movements, sleeping habits are all going good. I do not think there is anything to worry in these.

You can give him Multivitamin syrup that contains Vitamin D in it along with the other vitamins and minerals.

I hope this helps you.

Please do write back for further doubts, if any.