Child not able to sleep due to red bumps on legs. Having hives on stomach. Concerned

Dermatologist
Question
My son has been waking up for the last two nights with red bumps on his legs. Two days ago he also had what appeared to be hives on his stomach, but this morning it was only the red bumps on his legs and feet.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 19 minutes later
Hello
I would be pleased to answer your question .

His symptoms are suggestive of Acute Urticaria. This is usually caused by either intake of a new prescription drug like penicillin or an OTC drug like aspirin, systemic infection (either bacterial or viral), food additives, seafood or intestinal worms. The last is usually only of significance in children. Stress is also a major cause of an outbreak. Now about the drugs you are on - they are unlikely to be the culprit since you have been on them for so long.

Many times it is not possible to find out the cause, however since most episodes of acute urticaria are self limited within 4-6 weeks of onset of symptoms, it is not imperative to do so. I would recommend taking Tablet Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day for 2 weeks + calamine lotion over the affected areas whenever symptoms occur and seeing whether they recur on stopping the medicine after 2 weeks. If they do then restart treatment for another four weeks and then stop and see. If they still recur then you will require some blood tests and will need to see a doctor in person.

Please note that if he has any lip swelling or difficulty in breathing you should see doctor right away.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.