Child learnt late crawling and walking and just babbles. MRI showed small abnormality. Could this be serious?

Hi. My 3 year old son has learning difficulties. He was late crawling and walking and still isn't speaking he just babbles. He had a MRI scan and a small abnormality was found between his brain. Another MRI scan has been booked but we don't know if we should be worried? Could this be serious? Is it likely to cause his learning diffiiculties? And if something is found what is the likely treatment?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 9 minutes later

I can feel your concerns .

Brain usually grow till 2 years of age and any delay in the developmental milestones point towards abnormality in the brain.

Does your child cried immediately after birth?
Does he has prolonged history of jaundice ?
Does during the pregnancy mother suffered from any viral infection?
Is the head size is normal for age?
Is there any family history of delayed milestone?
Is he had fever with fits?

Till the report of MRI came its very premature to comment on the state of affairs, But some abnormality in learning will remain which can be improved by proper follow up.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Child learnt late crawling and walking and just babbles. MRI showed small abnormality. Could this be serious? 51 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. He did cry after birth and the answer to the other questions is no but he does have a small head for his age. He is small generally and only weighed 1.8 kg when he was born.
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 2 hours later

Thanks for your follow up.

Your child had low birth weight and his head size is small for his age that means he can have brain malformations .

For which thorough work up is required regarding brain imaging. You should go for MRI brain and let me know the report of MRI.

I will tell you about the future prospects regarding the problem he will have.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you and your child good health.