Child is unable to speak or communicate properly and gets afraid. Should I consult a specialist?

Feb 2013

My child is 5.7 years old. She is in XXXXXXX KG in international board. She has two teachers in the class. Today, her Teacher2 has complained that she has a problem with her speech and we need to consult a therapist before its late. She also told her writing is very untidy and not symmetric and aligned. I went to Teacher1 to understand more (who is XXXXXXX teacher in class).Teacher1 told that my daughter though knows her subject but is unable to communicate properly in group forum. She mentioned that may not speech therapist but she need to go for public speaking for confidence building. She also told that if they ask her question, she gets afraid. I am really confused about development of my child.
Since past 6 months what we are observing that she is scared of little- little things. Like what if maid does not come on time to pick me up. What if I reach school late and small things she cries

I am working mother through out and is really worried on her development. Pls advise
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 22 hours later

Thank you for your query,

I would like to know what exactly her speech problem? Is she unable to speak some words or some letters?

Writing requires coordination of motor system - fine and gross, vision and cerebellar system. It will take some more time for her to write neatly.

Children with fears and phobias, can't speak and communicate in front of group forums and teachers.

Try to speak with the child gently to know her fears and try to clarify them. And encourage her to speak in front of her friends, children, and in family gatherings.

Most of preschool, and school children have magical imaginations and get frightened easily and they can't relate cause and effect. This is the reason of her scary about not picking her by maid or going late to school issues.

I advise you to consult a pediatrician to assess her vision, auditory, receptive functions and her cognitive level. The initial evaluation can guide us to a proper referral to a social child psychologist or a speech therapist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarification please let me know.