Child is teething. Has pus from gums. Eating normally. Has impetigo on chin. Will antibiotics clear up gum problem?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 10 month old is teething and has a new incisor that has just cut the gum at the top. My concern is there is pus coming from her gums behind the four teeth she has at the top. She is eating and drinking fine but surely this is not normal. She has been run down this week and has impetigo on her chin which she has been prescribed antibiotics for. Will the antibiotics clear up whatever is going on in her mouth or should I go back to my doctor?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later
Hello ,
Teething causes inflammation in the gums and thereby redness swelling etc.
Yes pus formation is not lijely noted during teething and may result due to concomitant infection elsewhere in body.
If she has been prescribed oral antibiotics by her doctor, it will spread through the blood and clear out any infection be it impetigo or gum.So the situation ast present is not worrisome as
1.The child has minimal or no discomfort.
2.There is no obvious bleeding from gums , no fever, no swelling of the floor of oral cavity indicating spread of infection, no refusal to feeds, no vomiting etc
3.The child is already taking a course of antibiotics.
So at present you may wait and watch for resolution of symptoms for a couple of days or till antibiotic course completion.
However if she develops any new symptom as mentioned above then please seek prompt consultation since there is a possibility of requirement for higher antibiotics in that case along with antiinflammatory drugs.
It's most likely to resolve soon and you need not worry much, however ,though difficult in an infant please maintain regular oral hygiene as much as feasible.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.