Child is sweating and has low body temperature while sleeping. Should I be concerned?

My six year old son is sleeping, sweating badly and has a temp of 96.6. Should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Heavy sweating itself is a reason of low body temperature. Just see that your child is not bundled up in heavy clothing while sleeping.
Dress in 1 layer of light weight clothing and make him sleep with 1 light blanket (avoid bundling). (Caution: overheated kids can't undress themselves.)
Such heavy sweating and lowered body temperture is often seen in children who had a bout of infection recently. Generlised body weakness is the commonest cause for this.
You need to monitor the child for any high grade fever or hypoglycemia. Give him electrolyte XXXXXXX glucose drinks.
He needs medical help in case there is any tachycardia- fast pulse or high rise of temperature.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.