Child is suffering from fever and cold. Given ventorlin syrup and zifi. Safe medication?

Pediatrician
Question
My baby suffering for feverand cold I have given him ventorlin syrup and zifi 50 is that sufficient ...can I give him crocin syrup
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

You have to give him Crocin first for controlling fever especially if it is more than 100deg F. @ (10mg/kg/dose) . You can also give him tepid sponging in addition.

What is the age and weight of the baby?
Since how long is the fever?
Is there any significant past history?
Birth history?
Does he have any breathing issues at present?

Kindly get back with the answers so that I formulate a better management..

Follow-up: Child is suffering from fever and cold. Given ventorlin syrup and zifi. Safe medication? 26 minutes later
Age is 11 months weight 9kgs fever since yday

Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 21 minutes later

Your child is likely to be suffering from viral fever with cold .So continue giving him Crocin every 4hrly or whenever fever appears.

I don't think that giving antibiotic( zifi )is a good idea,because the virals usually settles down in 3days without antibiotics.

Ventorlin is a bronchodilator and is given when child has difficulty in breathing and has nocturnal cough like in asthma.

All you need to do is give him a good decongestant syrup for his cold and saline nasal drops to keep his nasal passages clean.

Keep him well hydrated and continue with his normal diet.If he doesn't improve in 3days then get him examined by his doctor to rule out bacterial infection .

Hope to have answered your query.

Bye

Follow-up: Child is suffering from fever and cold. Given ventorlin syrup and zifi. Safe medication? 43 minutes later
Thank you for valueble guidance...

Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Hope your son gets well soon and back to his chirpy nature!

All the Best.

Bye
Take Care