Child is snoring and has sleep apnea, no cold or infection, Fluticone prescribed. Had tonsilloadenoidectomy.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi Doctor,
My son who is 10 years old has undergone Tonsilo-adenectomy surgery 2 years back and was doing well all these days. Now he is suffering with snoring & sleep apneo from the past 20 days. No cold - No infection. Doctor here suggested to use Fluticone-ft for one month (Morning & Night).

How well Fluticone-ft help my son from snoring & sleep apnea. Please answer doctor at the eariest.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Fluticone -ft is a steroid nasal spray containing fluticasone. It is used in treatment of snoring and chronic sleep apnea due to allergic or non-allergic causes.

This corticosteroid works directly on the nasal passages to reduce swelling and inflammation at cellular level. The mechanism of action is complex and somewhat of a mystery. It is not known if the agents penetrate the nasal mucosa or act on target cells. Corticosteroids have specific effects on mediators and on the inflammatory cells involved in the allergic process. Mediators that appear to be affected include prostaglandins, leukotrienes, and mast cells. The drugs also act by inhibiting T lymphocytes which are part of immune system.

So thus it decreases the obstruction and swelling at tissue level even if there is no visible swelling or obstruction.

Fluticasone is also used to relieve seasonal and year-round, allergic and non-allergic nasal symptoms such as itching, runny or stuffy nose, postnasal drip and sneezing in children 4 years of age and older.

The dose is usually one spray in each nostril daily.

In recommended doses there are no significant side effects reported.

In your child it might be the appropriate treatment as per the diagnosis mentioned.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Child is snoring and has sleep apnea, no cold or infection, Fluticone prescribed. Had tonsilloadenoidectomy. 31 hours later
Doctor Thanks for the reply very much. My Son is using it from past 3 days @ one spray in each nostril daily in the morning and in the nigt. But there is no significant improvement yet. Actually what will be the course duration for showing the results and attaining normalcy. What are the precautions to be taken while on medication and any diet restrictions to be followed?
Thanks for the follow-up.

The effects of corticosteroid do not start immediately and may take about a week to show maximum relief . The usual course duration varies from case to case ranging from 1to 3 months as decided by the treating doctor. But if symptoms show no change after a week to ten days then you should consult your doctor for alternative management or reconfirm the diagnosis.

Precautions would be as follows .

1.Please take the recommended dose only , do not exceed the dose or duration of treatment without consulting your doctor.
2.Maintain adequate hygiene as long term steroids may increase the chance of superinfection.
3.Report your doctor of any sideeffects like nosebleed, headache, dryness, irritation, ulceration etc
4. if you are taking any other medication in future for any illness do mention that you are taking fluticasone to prevent any drug interactions.

A normal balanced diet can be taken and no diet restriction is recommended in such case

Avoidance of high salty and oily foods , especially processed or packaged unnatural foods are

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any more queries.

Please do accept my answer if you have no more queries.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.